Monday, March 7, 2011

This is how I do it...

Happy Monday Morning!  Hope everyone had a nice, relaxing weekend!  We had a great weekend...it was nice to play outside for the first time in a few months.  Momma got some sun, yay!

As some of you may know, I was recently featured as a Guest Blogger on WOAH Mamma! talking about my daily schedule as a busy Mom.

I wanted to share with you the article to show you how it IS possible to do everything you want/need to do during the day, including getting your daily exercise in. 

Health and Fitness is so important to me - as is YOUR health and fitness.  I want to be able to impower YOU to make positive and healthy changes in your life, so let me show you how I do it - how I make my health and fitness a PRIORITY in my life.  Enjoy!

http://woahmommablog.blogspot.com/2011/02/this-is-how-i-do-it-kari.html
_________________________________________________________________

Hi There! My name is Kari Moore. I wear many hats in my life, but most importantly I’m a Wife, Mom and a business owner. My husband, Josh, and I have been married since 2003, and we have a 6 year old daughter, Kassidy, and a 4 month old son, Blake. In addition to being a Mom (I’m marking this down as a full-time job. If you’re a Mom, you know what I mean!) I work full time in Life Insurance and I own my own Fitness Consulting business (http://www.coachkari.com/). I’ve worked in Life Insurance since 2002, so almost 10 years, and I started in Fitness as a Group Fitness Instructor in 2002, became a Personal Trainer in 2006, started my Fitness Consulting business in 2008 and manage a fitness blog (http://www.karimoorefitness.com/) – whew! Just typing that makes me feel tired, lol!



Clearly my plate is full, but luckily I’ve been pretty successful at managing all my of responsibilities. We have a semi-loose schedule in our household, meaning I haven’t scheduled my day down to the very minute. Who can do that with a Kindergartener and an Infant in the house? A typical Monday thru Friday for us looks something like this:


2:30 am – up for nighttime bottle


5:15am – alarm goes off (if the baby hasn’t gone off first)


5:15am-6:00am – Mom is getting ready (hair, makeup, getting dressed, hopefully remembering to brush her teeth, creating her To-Do list, etc.). Dad has gotten up by now and has gone in for wakeup call #1 with the Kindergartener (any average day can be 1-4 wake up calls with her, she’s not a morning person) and has gone downstairs to put dishes away from the night before and start breakfast for the Kindergartener, take the dog out and feed the dog.


6:00am-6:30am – Mom wakes up the baby (if he hasn’t already woken up and broken out of his swaddle, the little Houdini), changes the baby’s diaper and gets the baby dressed for the day. Mom will usually head downstairs to feed the baby and finish with the Kindergartner while Dad heads upstairs to get ready for work – and if Mom is lucky Mom might get a kiss as Dad passes by (he’s crabby in the morning too).


6:35am-6:45am – Mom and Dad are gather both kids, locking up the house, loading the car and heading out for the day. We all carpool together, one big happy family, sometimes…


7:00am – Baby is dropped off at the sitters. Kisses all around.


7:25am – Mom is dropped off at work. Kisses all around.


7:45am – Kindergartener is dropped off. Kisses.


8:00am – Dad arrives to work, exhausted and the day’s just begun.


from this time to 4:30pm Mom & Dad are working, Kindergartener has her “thinking cap” on and baby is (hopefully) napping, eating, playing & repeating.


4:30pm – Dad leaves work to pick up Kindergartner. (She attends an after-school program on campus)


4:45pm – Dad and Kindergartner pick up Mom.


5:00pm – Dad, Mom and Kindergartner all go to pick up the baby and head home.


5:15pm – Family arrives home, lets out the dog, throws bags on the ground and scatters.


5:15pm-6:00/6:30pm – Free time or Homework time for Kindergartner (depending on what she didn’t get done at the Y after school). Watch a little TV (usually Disney Channel), we play with the baby or give the baby a bath, Dad does something in the garage (his “me” time). Mom has, usually, started dinner so that its cooking while…


6:30pm-7:00pm – Mom puts baby to bed.


7:00pm-7:30pm – Dinner time. We make sure we talk about our Rose’s and Thorn’s, a tradition of the First Family that we started with our family. After dinner, we all help clean up the table while Dad does dishes.


7:30pm-8:30pm – The Kindergartner takes a bath and gets ready for bed and we get free time as a family. A little TV, maybe a game of Uno, reading books, playing a little Wii or Xbox Kinnect (I’ll only allow video gaming systems in my house that require physical movement, I know, I know…Mean Mom!)


8:30pm – Bedtime for the Kindergartner.


8:30pm-9:30pm – Mom and Dad finish cleaning up for the night and will start their individual workouts. Mom is doing ChaLEAN Extreme and Dad has developed his own strength training routine based on P90X with the use of Resistance Bands.


9:30pm-10:30pm – Mom’s “business hours” for her Fitness Consulting business (http://www.coachkari.com/ http://www.karimoorefitness.com/).


10:30pm-11:00pm – Mom and Dad sit to reflect on the day and will usually catch up on some recorded TV shows like Modern Family, Chuck, Idol or Decoded.


11:00pm – Lights out for Mom and Dad!


Do you and your husband work as a team? Yep! It’s been something that we’ve had to work on over the years, but we’ve got it down now! He handles the finances, I handle the majority of the care for the kids (bath time, putting the baby to bed, etc), he vacuums (I hate carrying the vacuum up and down the stairs!), I dust, he mops, I clean the bathrooms and we both do laundry. I do the meal planning and grocery shopping on Tuesday nights, which is my “Rest” night from ChaLEAN Extreme.


What is your current struggle as a working mom? It’s more of an internal struggle than an external one but making sure my family knows, and FEELS, that they’re #1 in my book! My fitness and business are top priorities in my life, but my family and my relationship with my husband are #1.


What do your weekends look like? Our Weekends are definitely more relaxed. The kids usually get up around the same time as they do during the day. My husband and I take turns sleeping in on the weekends – my husband’s sleep in day is Saturday and mine is Sunday. We started this when our Kindergartner was just a baby. Chores are completed (well, we make the best attempt to complete them!) and we make sure that we fill the weekend with activates that are family friendly and will usually include our extended family - we are Annual Passholders to Disneyland, along with our extended families and friends, so we usually end up there when the weather is nice.


Do you make time to go out on date nights? With a new baby in the house, we’re just getting into having some alone time. We’ve had one “date night” since mid-pregnancy. Before I got pregnant, we would have a “date night” usually every 2 weeks. Now that the baby is getting a little older and has transitioned from breastfeeding to formula feeding, we’re trying to plan our next “date night”. Lining up a sitter is the hard part.


What is the hardest thing about being a working mom? Scheduling out our days, and sticking to it. Before we had kids we were really “fly by the seat of our pants” kinda people. Nowadays things need to be scheduled in advance; otherwise they’re not going to happen. And, knowing what our priorities are in our life and keeping that forefront when planning our days is important, but challenging, too. Our top 3 priorities are Family, Business, and Fitness.


What is your “secret” to making things work? Creating a To-Do list every single morning.


Would you stay home with your kid(s) if given the opportunity? Heck ya! That’s my WHY for starting my own business as a Fitness Consultant and Beachbody Coach.


Share your favorite recipe, organizational tip, etc. You’ve got to create a To-Do list, every day. Each activity should be centered on your Top 3 priorities in your life. And I’m a big fan of the Crock Pot – what a time saver! When it comes to food we try to avoid eating out of a “box”, the “just add beef” variety. I’m not much of a cook, but I try to make things from scratch as much as possible. It’s therapeutic for me to chop veggies and garlic for dinner and channel my inner Rachael Ray.

No comments:

Post a Comment