Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I'm sick...now what?

Picture this…

You’re on Week 3 of your new 90 day fitness program and are feeling GREAT! You’ve got extra energy, you’re noticing changes happening with your body, your clothes are fitting better, you’re sleeping better and just overall are feeling AWESOME!

And then it happens…you wake up one morning towards the end of Week 3 with a tickle in your throat and a headache, which both get progressively worse throughout the day, and before you know it, you’re officially SICK!

And just when you were on a roll with your new fitness program too!

This has been one of the most common questions I’ve been getting lately: I’m sick, can I still workout? In a roundabout way, YES.

Here’s the rule of thumb I go by: if your symptoms are above your neck, meaning you’ve got a head cold, sinus issues, runny nose, nasal congestion, sneezing or a sore throat, then yes, you’re OK to work out. HOWEVER, if your symptoms are below your neck, chest congestion, hacking cough, stomach issues, it’s best to rest.

But, the best piece of advice I can give you is to listen to your body. Your body will tell you if you are ok to push through, or if you need to take a break. And taking a break is OK, trust me! Please, listen to your body.

So, you’ve decided to take a break to allow your body to heal, great! Do you need to restart your 90 day fitness program? Not necessarily. Depends on how much time your body needs to recover. Few days? Hop right back in! A week? Might be best to continue to rest and redo the lost week. More than a week? Depends on where you are in your fitness program. If you fall into this category, contact me and we’ll discuss a plan of action for you.

As Mr. Tony Horton says, “Do your best, and forget the rest!” If you have questions, I’m here for you! Reach out and connect with me.

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment